Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The Switch

Alicia and I have switched dogs. I have Bazz and am doing a little work on handling and a lot of work on grooming. We've had a little heat wave and he's molting.
This morning I took him outside in my driveway to use the undercoat rake to get out some of the loose fur. He was on a 6' lead that was hooked over my arm. I was plucking his back leg and he decided he could make a break for it. He pulled his leg free of my hand and took off on high. Unfortunately, I was expecting it (Timber *was* half Siberian) and he hit the end of the leash. He whirled around and looked at me, with absolute shock on his face. Poor boy!
When I took Guy over to Alicia's it was a cooler day and I decided to bike him over. Guy did very well at first. He was a little nervous of the bike, but figured out that it wouldn't run him over. But when I turned onto the bike path, he became a basket case. He was afraid of the cars that were on the street (10' away), the mud puddles and even a stray mailbox. I think I overwhelmed him a little. He's doing fine now at Alicia's.
I've been working with Guy on the retrieve, he's gotten stuck. He'll put his mouth on the dumbbell, but won't put pressure on it, or hold it. Alicia's agreed to continue working on the retrieve to see if she can get him to pick it up/carry it.
At my house Guy's cat fixation had increased to the point of grabbing one of the cats on the cat shelf and dragging him off. At Alicia's the cats are much more comfortable with life in general less afraid of everything.

No comments: