Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Takki takes a walk

Poor Takki, usually he gets several little walks a day to go potty, but we stay in my yard. Today we went for a walk. We went about 1 1/2 miles through out the local university grounds. I kept the leash short did a lot of about turns and overall didn't let him pull or mark. He was a very unhappy Siberian. Each time I did an about turn, he'd have to catch up to me. When he did, he got a treat. He soon learned that walking next to me was much better than pulling out ahead.

One thing I do want to point out is most of what I'm working on with Takki, is teaching him humans are relevant. Takki does Agility at home and has been trained, but he also thinks that the other dogs are far more important than people. He's testing his limits with me and he's also very upset that a. Danny doesn't play with him. b. Danny won't let him play with Missy or Quinn. Danny and Quinn are both Aussies and control freaks, as far as they are concerned Takki is a giant puppy that needs to be taught manners.

We did have a little setback with eating. He's decided that if the other dogs are out of their crates, that he doesn't have time to eat. I'm sure he'll figure it out, my chore will be to keep Danny or Missy from stealing his food.

No comments: